Grilled Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Tasty and unique spin on a classic with Grilled Mexican Shrimp Cocktail. Perfect summer recipe of grilled shrimp, tomato base, avocado, cilantro, lime and hot sauce.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KingOfFlavor #CollectiveBias
Shrimp cocktails are a flavorful, healthy appetizer usually only ordered at restaurants or served occasionally at parties. How do you make them part of your regular summer fun? Grill the shrimp of course. Rich, smoky flavor brings out even more flavors for this Grilled Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.
Grilling the shrimp brings a hands-on aspect and invites a collaborative effort between friends or family. Watch your guests salivate as they wait for perfectly grilled shrimp to mix into their sweet and spicy shrimp cocktail mix. This recipe features a unique tomato mixture made mostly from scratch.
Traditional Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipes feature a pre-made clam and tomato drink, which you could use. If you want a more natural ingredient base then use an organic vegetable juice blend and simply add ingredients like diced tomatoes, minced garlic, red onion, cilantro, squeezed lime juice, horseradish and organic ketchup. Don’t forget a good amount of avocado for that signature chunky Mexican Shrimp Cocktail texture.
Adding to the theme of Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, I used El Yucateco® Red Habanero Hot Sauce. A full 2 tablespoons adds a flavorful, spicy kick. It’s made with fresh red habanero peppers, tomato and signature spices and seasonings. It’s a great “all purpose” sauce that’s spicier than most, but with less vinegar flavor; ideal for a recipe like this. You can also try their Green Chile Habanero and Black Label Reserve flavors. El Yucateco® is a fun flavorful brand that people love and make a part of their every day life. I carry mine in my backpack. It is great to bring camping, to a friends BBQ or to my favorite restaurant, the options are endless.
During the summer, my friends and I spend almost every weekend cooking, grilling or being out in nature. Cookouts with friends brings both the food and outdoors together in one fun package. I hope you enjoy plenty of outdoor time as well with good food and company.
Grilled Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Tangy, spicy and umami paired with savory grilled shrimp.
Texture: Moist tender shrimp, creamy avocado in a chunky tomato cocktail sauce.
Dietary options/substitutions: Use more or less hot sauce depending on desired spiciness. Preferably use organic vegetable juice, tomatoes and ketchup, as well as natural horseradish.
- 2 pounds shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable juice blend (or clam and tomato drink)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons El Yucateco® Red Habanero Hot Sauce
- 3 avocados, cubed
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place shrimp in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to coat.
- Lightly grease grill and cook shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through and slightly charred. Tip: use a grill basket or skewers to prevent falling through grates. Remove shrimp and cool slightly.
- In a clean bowl, stir together remaining ingredients until combined. Place desired amount in glasses or bowls. Peel tails off shrimps (optional) then place on edge of prepared glasses and serve.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and post it on Instagram and tag @platingpixels or hashtag #platingpixels
Share or Pin this recipe if you like it. Thanks! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.