Matcha Green Tea Waffles (Gluten Free)
Protein rich, healthy matcha green tea waffles. Made with matcha green tea powder, oat flower, honey, banana and a special coconut drink.
Learn how to make nutrient rich matcha green tea waffles full of clean ingredients you can feel good about; topped with a vibrant, emerald green tea agave syrup.
You’d probably be a bit skeptical if I told you waffles can be part of a healthy lifestyle routine. I used to think of them as brunch specials full of dessert-like toppings, but that’s changed quite a bit since I discovered healthier, protein rich, gluten free waffles. What’s more surprising is you wouldn’t even notice the ingredient swaps.
Living a healthy lifestyle is all about positive little things that add up over time. Replacing certain foods with better alternatives, and being a bit more active makes exponential differences over time. That’s amplified even more with a healthy whole-food diet and consistent exercise.
Just as with these green tea waffles, it’s the little things that make a difference. Instead of bleached flour, I used nutrient rich and non-insulin spiking oat flour. I’ve also subbed out refined sugars with natural sweeteners like ripe bananas and honey.
Matcha green tea powder gives you a smooth bit of caffeine…and of course the unique experience of green waffles, all without food colorings. To make things even more fun, a mixture of agave syrup and matcha green tea powder makes an emerald green waffle syrup that compliments these perfectly.
Bolthouse Farms® Coconut Protein PLUS adds complimentary flavor and extra protein to these green tea waffles. Bolthouse Farms beverages are perfect for making healthier choices at home or on the go, and a convenient way to get fruits, vegetables, vitamins and minerals in your daily diet. They have 6 NEW juice, smoothie and protein drinks and flavors like Mango Pineapple Colada, Berries and Green Veggies, Raspberry Blood Orange, Banana Honey Almond Butter, Coconut, and Strawberry. While, I enjoyed drinking each one, I can imagine making all sorts of creative recipes with each of them as well!
Enjoy these green tea waffles as you feel good about the simple changes that lead to big differences.
Matcha Green Tea Waffles recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Earthy green tea and oat flavors paired with sweet banana and honey.
Texture: Moist, pillowy waffles with a crispy exterior.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: Use whole-wheat flour instead of oat flour if desired and non-GF
- 2 ¼ cups oat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup matcha green tea powder, plus extra
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (15.2-ounce) bottle Bolthouse Farms® Coconut Protein PLUS
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup honey (or agave syrup)
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, ¼ cup matcha powder, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- In separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients, except ¼ cup agave syrup. Pour into dry mixture. Whisk together until just combined, small lumps in the batter are fine. Let the batter sit and thicken for 10 minutes while you heat up waffle iron.
- Pour roughly ½-cup batter into center of heated and greased waffle iron. Cook each waffle according to waffle iron directions (usually 3-5 minutes) and serve with syrup.
- To make matcha green tea syrup: Combine ¼ agave syrup and desired amount of green tea powder. I used about 3 tablespoons to create a dark emerald green syrup.
This recipe is adapted from my Gluten Free Eggnog Waffles.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and post it on Instagram and tag @platingpixels or hashtag #platingpixels
Share or Pin this recipe if you like it. Thanks! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.