These Slow Cooker Carnitas Enchiladas are super easy and only use 5 ingredients. Grilled then slow cooked seasoned carnitas, with diced green chilies, shredded cheese, corn tortillas and enchilada sauce.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I’m pretty excited about this recipe as I can cross off enchiladas from the to-do list. Enchiladas, and Mexican food in general, are a favorite of mine, yet I’ve never made them at home. Maybe it’s because of the stories I’ve heard about spending all day in the kitchen. Not true with these 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Carnitas Enchiladas.
You can enjoy them anytime, even on a weeknight, with only about 30 minutes of hands-on time. This is thanks to a few time-saving tips, and using different cooking methods.
Time saving tips for slow cooker carnitas enchiladas
Start with grilling the carnitas pork shoulder. Only about 5 minutes per side to add a lovely depth of flavor, then place in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. Bonus tip: start the carnitas in morning and set on low for 8 hours. The meat will be cooked and ready when you come home.
To save marinating time and reduce the number of ingredients needed, use Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork. It’s Real Fresh, Real Flavor, Real Fast. All their products are made with 100% pork and real, fresh ingredients. Smithfield Seasoned Carnitas Boneless Pork Shoulder is perfectly seasoned and perfectly marinated so it’s ready to cook right out of the package. It’s also made with real, all-natural ingredients such as pork, pork broth, vinegar, salt and spices.
How to assemble enchiladas
Once the carnitas is slow cooked, shred it apart with a fork. Then simply mix in canned diced green chilies, shredded Mexican blend cheese and a bit of red enchilada sauce. Stuff carnitas mixture into tortillas, roll and drench with more enchilada sauce. Bake until heated through and serve. Now that’s what I call real fast enchiladas. This Slow Cooker Carnitas Enchiladas recipe makes plenty, and is great for leftover lunches or dinners.
More carnitas recipes you may like:
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Carnitas Enchiladas
- 3-4 pounds Smithfield Seasoned Carnitas Boneless Pork Shoulder
- 1 (28-ounce) can red enchilada sauce, divided
- 2 (7-ounce) cans diced mild green chilies, drained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 10 corn tortillas
- Sour cream, optional garnish
- Preheat gas grill to high heat. Place carnitas pork shoulder on grill, close and cook 5 minutes or until bottoms are seared. Rotated and sear other side. Remove from grill and place in slow cooker. Drizzle with ½ cup of enchilada sauce and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place cooked carnitas on a large plate or cutting board, discarding excess liquid. Use 2 forks to shred carnitas into small pieces. Place back in slow cooker pot or in a large bowl. Stir in green chilies, cheese, and ½ cup of enchilada sauce.
- Add about ½-cup scoop of carnitas mixture into tortilla, roll and place sealed-edge down in a large baking pan or casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, placing close together. Drizzle with remaining enchilada sauce to coat tops. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted (note: you can also slow cook the enchiladas on high until heated through). Remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes Serve with optional garnishes such as sour cream, avocado, sliced green onion or cilantro.