Barbecue bacon wrapped hot dogs, topped with spicy homemade habanero coleslaw and queso blanco cheese. Perfect tailgating recipe.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KingOfFlavor #CollectiveBias
Within this recipe post you’ll learn how to grill bacon wrapped dogs, and cook them to perfect crispness. Plus you’ll learn a trick to make cooking with wooden skewers much easier.
After seeing about 20 pumpkin recipes in my Bloglovin feed I realized Fall is officially upon us, well at least in the food blog world. Us bloggers try to be a few months ahead of the season so our recipes are ready to find by the time you start looking. I’m currently developing and photographing six soup recipes for a brand, which started in August; and with my new Canon 6D full frame camera I upgraded to, yay! I’ll cover my thoughts on the camera more in future posts.
Another season that is upon us is football season. I’ll be honest and say my favorite part by far is the food and tailgating. When I think of tailgating I think of grilling. Today’s recipe is barbecued Bacon Wrapped Dogs with Habanero Coleslaw. Even though summer may be coming to a close *sob* you can still enjoy grilled food almost year round; like hot dogs, wrapped in more meat and topped with spicy homemade coleslaw and queso blanco cheese.
What makes this homemade coleslaw so spicy is El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce. It’s adapted from this sweet and spicy coleslaw recipe of mine to be even more spicy. The Green Habanero hot sauce is made with fresh green habanero peppers, garlic, spices and seasonings. Wow does this sauce pack some heat! And it blends well into creamy dips or dressings.
Bacon wrapped hot dogs brings grilled hot dogs to a whole new level. Just wrap the hot dogs starting with one end, in an even layer, to the other end. Use wooden skewers to hold the ends in place then grill. Cook over medium heat to ensure the inside of the hot dog heats up and the bacon is perfectly grilled and crisp. Place in a toasted bun and top with the green habanero coleslaw for a perfect tailgating grilling recipe.
Cooking Tips: How to barbecue with wooden skewers
If using wood skewers for grilling, it’s best to presoak them in water first to prevent burning. This is especially useful for kabobs, like chicken, that take longer to cook. Soak skewers completely submerged in water for at least 20 to 40 minutes. For this recipe, the toothpicks are no different. Either soak them, or break them in half to they aren’t as long and exposed on the grill. Be sure to remove before serving to your guests.
Flavor profiles: Meaty, rich, bacony (yes that’s a flavor) and spicy!
Texture: Soft hot dogs wrapped in crips bacon, topped with creamy and crisp coleslaw.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: Dairy free: use dairy free mayo and omit cheese. Gluten-free: use GF buns. If you’re vegetarian then enjoy the coleslaw on it’s own.
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Bacon Wrapped Dogs with Habanero Coleslaw
Green Habanero Coleslaw
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup real mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 –8 cups shredded coleslaw veggie mix, without pre-made dressing
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
- 12 large hot dogs
- 12 strips thick bacon, less fat is better
- 12 hot dog buns
- Crumbled queso blanco cheese
Green Habanero Coleslaw
- In a small bowl whisk together all coleslaw ingredients, except veggies.
- Place shredded coleslaw vegetables in a large bowl. Add coleslaw dressing, fold and stir to evenly combine. Allow to sit while you cook bacon wrapped hot dogs.
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Start charcoal or preheat gas grill to medium heat. To wrap each dog: place a strip of bacon on the end of a hot dog. Tightly roll in a spiral along the length, without overlapping the edges. Use a toothpick on both ends to secure bacon (see cooking tips above to learn more).
- Grill for 10–15 minutes, rotating to cook each side every few minutes. Final cooking time depends on your specific grill heat, and desired bacon crispness. Toast hot dog buns.
- Top hot dogs with coleslaw and sprinkle desired amount of queso blanco on each. Serve extra coleslaw on the side.
Are you a fan of spicy and how have you used El Yucateco Hot Sauce? Have you ever tried bacon wrapped hot dogs?