Easy Strawberry and Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich. Soft, chewy homemade chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberry topping.
Ice cream for dinner! This is my 10th blog post so I’ll count it as a celebratory meal and a treat to myself. Hey, ice cream and celebrations go together. (Update: I’ve now done 100 posts! View our recipe index for more) – Within this recipe post, you’ll learn tips on how to make easy ice cream sandwiches, without melted ice cream. –
Since starting food photography and this blog my cooking and eating habits have changed. I am now more aware of ingredients that I use and why they work in recipes. I am also more adventurous with my cooking, confidently changing ingredients to make the most flavorful dishes. The biggest change is once I’ve made the meal. With the scene and camera prepped it’s a mad dash to plate the food in a presentable and mouth-watering way, then photograph the dish from different angles, all while my girlfriend is often patiently waiting for us to share a normal meal together. If I get it right we can actually eat while it’s still warm, or frozen for the purposes of this recipe. It may sound crazy but I enjoy all of this. Hopefully you enjoy these recipes and can create some memories for yourself.
Sometimes you have to go out of your way and do things you normally wouldn’t when creating a new project. I baked the cookies for this recipe towards the evening and was not able to photograph the sandwiches because of diminished natural light. I wanted to get this recipe photographed before my upcoming vacation and only had a few remaining evenings, which were almost fully booked. The next day I came straight home from work and made the ice cream sandwich to shoot in natural light. Of course I had to eat it real quick and decided to count that as dinner. Then I rushed off to tennis lessons for the rest of the evening.
As far as the ice cream sandwiches, the ingredients and pictures should influence you enough to try this recipe. In case you need more persuasion, these chocolate chip cookies are more of soft biscuit textured shortbread. Bite into one and they will slowly dissolve in your mouth, along with your favorite ice cream of choice. It’s a simple yet decadent snack that you can enjoy outside on a warm day or cozied up on a couch in front of your favorite movie.
How to make easy cookie ice cream sandwiches, without melted ice cream
Enjoying homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches can be a bit messy. By the time you make them and are ready to eat, they can be a bit runny. Believe me, I found this out the hard way when trying to photograph this recipe. A couple of tips to help. For one make sure the cookie is completely cooled before assembly; you can ever refrigerate them before. Once assembled with ice cream in the center, put them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. This we re-set the ice cream and make it easier to enjoy.
Products used in this recipe:
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/Yellow
16×22-Inch Aluminum Sheet Pan
Flavor profiles: Sweet and just slightly salty. Paired with rich ice cream and crisp strawberry topping.
Texture: Soft, chewy cookie with cool and creamy ice cream.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: This recipe is vegetarian. Use vegan ice cream and/or gluten-free cookies/flour for GF. You can replace strawberries any fruit.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Ice Cream Cookies
- 3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon butter melted, separated
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon Sucanat sugar, or large granule sugar
1 container of vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Combine strawberries, sugar and vanilla in medium bowl. Refrigerate until cookies finish baking and are ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate small bowl combine cream and ½ cup melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until batter forms. Then stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop 1/3 cup mounds onto greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with Sucanat sugar.
- Bake 18-20 minutes at 375º until golden brown. Remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut cookies in half horizontally (or you can use 2 whole cookies to make a thicker ice cream sandwich).
- Place desired amount of vanilla ice cream on one half of each cookie (you can form ice cream into a ¼ cup measuring cup first to shape for sandwich).
- Spoon strawberry mixture on top of ice cream and top with other half of cookies. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Taste Home: Recipe Card Collection: Spring 2014. Print.