This Chorizo Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is loaded with rich flavors and baked into a fluffy, decadent all-in-one breakfast meal.
I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cabot Cheese and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. Maybe that’s because I don’t eat it everyday, so it’s more of a unique experience. This Chile Chorizo Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is an experience in itself and will make anyone a fan of breakfast.
This tasty Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole makes an all-in-one loaded breakfast. It has all the classic breakfast ingredients such as egg, cheese, hashbrowns and chorizo. Here’s exactly what you’ll need.
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
- Chorizo, or any other breakfast meat such as sausage or bacon
- Onion: Cooked with the chorizo to add extra flavor and nutrients
- All-purpose flour: Helps thicken up the sauce
- Whole milk: Helps create the cheese sauce for a fluffy and creamy casserole
- Diced green chilies: Adds just the right amount of heat and queso flavor
- Sharp white cheddar cheese: Because cheese is amazing
- Hash browns: Wouldn’t be a proper breakfast without hash browns
- Eggs: An important part of most breakfast casserole recipes and helps it set once baked
- Salt and pepper: Enhances the flavors of all the ingredients
This Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is also great for leftovers, whether that’s for easy breakfasts at work or even a unique dinner.
Tips for making a Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Cook the meat ahead of time
Chorizo, sausage or bacon should be cooked and drained before adding to the casserole. This reduces baking time and reduces risk of uncooked meat.
Flour helps thicken the liquid
Heating flour and milk together with the meat and cheese creates a creamy sauce
How to make this gluten-free
Substitute all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour or almond flour. Honestly I haven’t had a chance to try this, so the texture may be a bit different. Let me know if the comments if you do!
Let the mixture cool a bit before adding the eggs
If you add eggs while the cheese hash brown mixture is still hot, it may cook and coagulate the eggs before baking.
Do I need to cover while baking?
No need to cover the dish while baking. It will cook evenly through and brown nicely without foil on top.
How to store leftovers
Bring the casserole to room temp, then cut into squares and place in a sealed container.
Refrigerate for up to 5 days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before reheating.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Chile Chorizo Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound chorizo, beef or pork
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 (4-ounce) diced green chilies, undrained, mild
- 4 cups shredded Cabot sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 16- ounces frozen hash browns, thawed
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Saute onions in a large skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir in chorizo. Cook 5 minutes more while breaking up the meat.
- Stir in flour and cook 1-2 minutes more. Reduce heat to medium and slowly stir in milk. Heat, stirring often, until it comes to a low boil and thickens slightly.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in green chilies and 2-cups of cheese until melted. Let sit for a few minutes to cool.
- If not enough room, transfer the mixture to a large bowl, then fold in hash browns. Whisk in eggs until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the casserole has mostly set and the top is golden brown. Let sit 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.