Super moist, melt in your mouth, fudge-like Dark Chocolate Espresso Brownies. Made with dark cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and freshly brewed espresso.
You probably know of my love for coffee by now. It’s not just the caffeine—it’s the flavor, routine and experience of pausing for a moment to enjoy. Plus it allows for more quality time in the morning with loved ones and family.
If you’re a daily coffee drinker, then you probably have your favorite ways of brewing at home. Whether it’s a traditional brew, coffee pod machines, French press or overnight cold brew, there’s plenty of ways to change it up.
I wouldn’t be a proper food blogger if I didn’t use them to make something delicious like these Dark Chocolate Espresso Brownies. It’s a rich and moist brownie with an almost fudge-like texture. There’s something about rich chocolate desserts. As you can see from my Double Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge Cake, it’s kind of an obsession. Since these espresso brownies were such a hit, I plan to work my way through this list of coffee and espresso infused recipes.
With baked goods, it’s critical to bake for the correct amount of time. With these espresso brownies, they should be a bit moister than you’re used to (a toothpick inserted will have a moist coating on it). Plus they continue to cook and set a bit after you take them out.
Dark cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, brown sugar, real espresso and plenty of eggs is secret to this Dark Chocolate Espresso Brownies recipe. Pair with fresh homemade espresso for a you-deserve-it morning treat, a snack or an evening dessert with your favorite ice cream. Any time is a good time for espresso and brownies.
Dark Chocolate Espresso Brownies recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, with a subtle espresso flavor.
Texture: Extremely moist, almost fudge-like brownies.
These brownies would make a wonderful base for my Homemade Brownie Sundae with Caramel Sauce.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Dark Chocolate Espresso Brownies
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cups 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 3- ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon brewed espresso, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2- ounces dark chocolate chips, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter or grease bottom and sides of a 9x9 baking pan. Line with parchment paper (up sides as well), grease top of parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- Place butter and 3-ounces chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave in 45-second increments, stirring between, until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add melted chocolate to a large bowl. Stir in both sugars, vanilla and espresso until combined. Stir in eggs then flour mixture just until combined. Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 35-40 minutes, until top is mostly set and toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudge-like coating. Allow to cool 30-60 minutes, lift brownies out of pan using parchment edges, then cut into squares. Extras (if any) can be stored sealed on counter for a few days, and fridge a few more after that.
Recipe adapted from Real Simple.