Quick and easy Healthy Mexican Style Pizza. Similar to a burrito, but as a flatbread tortilla pizza. Homemade tomato bean sauce, rotisserie chicken, cheese, avocado, cilantro and light sour cream.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCan #CollectiveBias
Within this post you’ll make a healthy Mexican style pizza. Plus you’ll learn a recipe hack to make your own tomato bean pizza sauce.
Mexican food and pizza may be some of my favorite comfort foods; so rich and flavorful, and reminds me of favorite family meals growing up. Nowadays I’m focusing more on healthy eating. This Healthy Mexican Style Pizza with Chicken takes the best of both worlds and combines them into a quick and healthy dinner. While at first this may simply seem like an unrolled burrito, it’s so much more.
It’s got all the essentials of a burrito but combined in a unique way, with some quick recipe hacks to make pizza prep even easier. I recommend using store-bought rotisserie chicken. You can bake your own moist chicken breasts, but a precooked chicken is already seasoned and ready to go, saving valuable time.
The unique things about this Mexican style pizza is the homemade tomato bean sauce. I used canned ConAgra Foods Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes and Rosarita Low-Fat Refried Black Beans. These are great for easy and delicious comfort meals, even on a busy weeknight. Top with shredded cheese and fresh produce (preferably organic), like green onion and avocado. Layer over whole-wheat tortillas and bake into a crispy, thin crust Healthy Mexican Style Pizza. Slice and garnish with fresh cilantro and sour cream.
Cooking Tips: How to make your own bean sauce
A recipe hack to make your own bean sauce is to blend the ingredients in a food processor. Similar to a homemade hummus, blend the diced tomatoes and beans to make a smooth and creamy sauce for this Mexican pizza. Add in spices and pickled jalapenos to infuse with even more flavor.
Difficulty: Super easy
Dietary Options/Substitutions: For vegetarian omit chicken. For gluten-free use GF tortillas.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Healthy Mexican Style Pizza with Chicken
- ½ 15-ounce can Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can Rosarita Low-Fat Refried Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons picked sliced jalapenos
- 4 large whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro, as garnish
- Light sour cream, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Place diced tomatoes, beans, cumin, pepper and jalapeno in a food processor. Pulse until blended and smooth.
- Evenly spread bean sauce onto tortillas, leaving about ½-inch from edge. Top with desired amount of cooked, shredded chicken. Sprinkle with even layer of cheese, then top with green onions.
- Bake pizzas for 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortilla is crispy. Remove from oven and top with avocado, cilantro and sour cream for garnish. Slice and serve immediately.