These adorable hummus Halloween monster appetizers will be the highlight of your Haloween gathering. Try these at home with the family to sneak in some healthy foods. They are fun to make, healthy, gluten-free, vegan and super tasty.
Besides Christmas, Halloween was a favorite holiday of mine. What’s not to love about dressing up as your favorite hero or character and parading around in a costume, while getting enough candy to supply two weeks of sweets binge eating? And all this was encouraged, oh it was a magical day.
Decorative desserts and appetizers weren’t part of the experience for me growing up. Now as an adult and food blogger, I’m totally playing with my food. Make them yourself as part of your Halloween party menu, or get the family involved. Kids will love decorating these.
How to make your Black Bean Hummus Monster Halloween Appetizers unique
- Start with a quick homemade black bean hummus (or call it a bean dip if you prefer). It’s simply drained black beans, garlic, lime juice, cumin and olive oil blended in a food processor.
- Fill your desired bowls or containers. They can be any size or shape you prefer. I found small ramekins work perfectly. Spread out top evenly or to desired texture and add candy eyes. I went the traditional route and used two, but feel free to make a cyclops monster or something else.
- For the hair, a bit of chopped parsley creates a lovely green hairdo. Style how you want, or use other edible ingredients such as sesame seeds, chili powder, chopped bell peppers or shredded cheese for different colors. The possibilities are endless.
- Optional: Style the black bean texture to create a nose and mouth, or use additional ingredients to create this effect.
Holiday recipes are a perfect excuse to play with your food. With a simple black bean hummus you and your family can make these Monster Halloween Appetizers, have a bit of fun and enjoy a healthy snack.
Want to use a different hummus appetizer base? Try these recipes:
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Black Bean Hummus Monster Halloween Appetizers
- 2 14.5-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Place all ingredients except parsley in a food processor. Pulse until thick and smooth, scraping sides if necessary. Scoop into small ramekins or bowls and smooth out tops.
- Add candy eyes and the chopped parsley for hair to each. Serve with desired dipping item, such as tortilla or pita chips.