These Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs, also known as Kalbi, are coated in a thick homemade glaze that’s bursting with umami, sweet and spicy flavors. They’re cooked to fall-off-the-bone perfection in only 30 minutes and sure to be a new favorite.
Having made ribs in the Instant Pot multiple times, I can now say it’s one of the best ways to cook them. Flavors are infused deep into the meat and it’s guaranteed tender and juicy.
With this simple Kalbi Ribs recipe, you’ll have fall off the bone Korean Beef Short Ribs in about 30 minutes. If that wasn’t easy enough, the Korean sauce whisks together with a handful of common pantry ingredients, and marinating isn’t required.
These Instant Pot Korean Beef Short Ribs are sticky and loaded with savory umami flavors, some sweetness, and a bit of spice. It’s finger-licking good and easy enough to make on a weeknight.
What Are Kalbi Ribs?
Kalbi ribs refers to the specific cut of meat. Unlike traditional American-style ribs or baby back ribs that include the whole rib, kalbi ribs are cut thinly across the bone to create small circles of bone lengthwise across the meat. Kalbi ribs are also known as flanken ribs.
The size of kalbi ribs are typically 8 inches by 1.5 inches and about a ¼ thick. This makes them great for grilling or roasting as they cook quickly. Making them in the Instant Pot will create fall of the bone kalbi ribs and my preferred method of cooking.
Where to Find Kalbi Ribs?
Most specialty or health food grocery stores should carry Kalbi ribs. The distinct cut is easy to recognize. You can also find them at Asian markets.
Unable to find kalbi ribs? You could substitute them with beef short ribs.
Bone-in vs Boneless Short Ribs
Bone-in ribs will yield juicer ribs and have more flavor. Since these are cooked in the Instant Pot the meat will fall off the bone, making them easy to eat. If you can’t find bone-in ribs you can substitute them with boneless ribs. The cooking time will be the same.
Ingredients for Korean Rib Sauce
I prefer to make a sauce from scratch for the best flavor. These Korean Short Ribs will have the same flavor as marinated ribs. However, a long marinade process isn’t required as the flavors will infuse while cooking. The sauce is also smothered on afterward to create a flavor-infused glaze.
Here’s a list of what you’ll need for Korean rib sauce:
- Soy sauce (regular, not low sodium)
- Sesame oil
- Garlic chili paste
- Rice vinegar
- Black pepper
- Crushed red chili flakes
- Minced garlic
- Freshly grated ginger
How Long to Cook Short Ribs in an Instant Pot
Ribs take about 25-35 minutes depending on the cut and thickness. For thin Kalbi ribs, 30 minutes will create fall-off-the-bone, melt in your mouth ribs.
Tips for Making this Recipe
- For best flavor, let the ribs soak in the sauce ingredients for 10-15 minutes. This will allow it to infuse into the meat. To save time you could skip this step as you’ll be glazing it with sauce once cooked.
- No salt is needed in this recipe as soy sauce contains plenty of sodium.
- Do not discard the liquid after cooking the ribs. This will be used to create the Korean rib sauce.
- If the sauce is too liquidy or isn’t thickening fast enough, you can stir in a bit of cornstarch mixed in water and simmer to thicken.
- Optional: Broil the ribs in the oven after cooking to crisp the tops of the ribs slightly and caramelize the glaze
How to Store and Serve Leftovers
Ribs will store in a sealed container in the fridge for about 3-4 days. You can also make a large batch and freeze up to 3 months.
To serve leftovers: Reheat in the microwave or for better texture reheat in the oven at 400 degrees F for 6-8 minutes.
More Instant Pot Recipes
More Rib Recipes to Try:
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs (Kalbi)
- 4 pounds flanken beef short ribs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic chili paste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onions, as garnishes
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except ribs and sesame seeds. Add beef short ribs and toss to coat. Let rest for 15 minutes for flavors to soak in.
- Place the prepared ribs on a wire rack in the Instant Pot. Pour remaining liquid over the ribs. Close the lid and cook on manual HIGH pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow steam to release manually. Or open the release valve after 5 minutes with tongs. Remove the ribs carefully, set aside, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Set the Instant Pot to high saute and simmer sauce with the lid open until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Coat both sides of the ribs with the sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions before serving.