Quick and healthy Lemon Broccoli Chicken Pasta. Fresh spring flavors of broccoli florets, garlic, lemon juice and zest with sauteed chicken and whole-wheat pasta.
Within this post you’ll make a lightened up chicken pasta that full of fresh flavor. Plus you’ll learn the skinny on whole wheat pasta…pun intended.
Triple lemon. Yep we’re going all out with this Lightened Up Lemon Broccoli Chicken Pasta recipe. With spring in full effect and summer closing in, I’m focusing on fresh, light and healthy recipes. Seasonal produce brings new ingredient themes and inspiration, and lemon broccoli is an ideal pairing of rich flavors that fit a better for you lifestyle.
How do I pack so much lemon flavor in there your ask? To start, chicken breast pieces are sauteed in light olive oil with lemon pepper seasoning and fresh minced garlic. Then fresh (ideally organic) broccoli florets are cooked just a moment and kept tender and crisp. Lemon juice and fresh lemon zest is added as the final punch to this fresh lightened up lemon broccoli chicken pasta.
Top with a bit of fresh grated Parmesan cheese for simple meal ready in less than 30 minutes. The textures, flavors and aromas will have you smiling as you’re transported by the the sensation of a cool summer breeze and fresh lemon scent. On that note, this Lemon Broccoli Chicken works as cold pasta salad and packs well for a unique picnic or potluck dish.
What is whole grain pasta made of?
Whole grain pasta includes all three layers of the wheat kernel: the bran, the germ and the endosperm. Because it is not refined, it includes valuable fiber and nutrients. Enjoy as part of a balanced meal, plus extra fiber has the added benefit of making you feel full longer. If you require gluten-free, there’s alternatives, including corn, rice and oat based pastas.
Lemon Broccoli Chicken Pasta recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Fresh, vibrant flavors or lemon and garlic paired with savory chicken and broccoli
Texture: Crisp, crunchy broccoli with tender chicken and al denta whole wheat pasta
Dietary options/substitutions: For GF use Barilla gluten-free pasta
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Lightened Up Lemon Broccoli Chicken Pasta
- 14 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 6 tablespoons light olive oil, divided (not extra-virgin)
- 3 medium chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese, as garnish
- Cook desired amount of pasta according to package directions; I used half a package. Cook al dente (firm), remove from heat and drain. Stir in 2-tbs olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile: Cut chicken into ½-inch cubes and toss with lemon pepper seasoning. Heat 2-tbs olive oil in a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often until opaque and mostly cooked. Turn heat to high and add garlic, saute 3-4 minutes more to lightly brown chicken. Remove chicken from pan.
- Heat remaining olive oil in pan. Add broccoli and saute 3-4 minutes. Do not over-cook as broccoli should be crisp.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, cooked chicken and pasta. Serve with Parmesan as garnish.