Quick and healthy Mango Habanero Chicken. Cilantro lime marinated chicken breast topped with mango habanero salsa over a bed of spinach leaves.
Within this post you’ll make a simple marinade and punch up this Mango Habanero Chicken. Who says healthy can’t taste and look this good?
I’m sure you’ve heard the expression that sometimes your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Let me tell you, this Lime Marinated Mango Habanero Chicken is a visual feast for the eyes. And the good news is it’s so light and flavorful you can enjoy as much as you’d like, guilt-free.
As a home chef and a food photographer, visuals are equally as important as taste. When I create a dish, I always have the presentation in mind. Each ingredient or prop adds a unique color and shape to the imagery. I can’t count how many times I shift a lime wedge or cilantro leaf, ever so slightly, for the final composition I’m happy with.
Surprisingly that sometimes alters the recipe itself, such as the bed of wilted spinach the chicken sits upon. If I wasn’t thinking of some way to visually offset subtle color of chicken, I most likely would have not prepared it this way. Turns out it creates a unique flavor and texture pairing, plus makes this a complete and healthy chicken dinner.
This Mango Habanero Chicken chicken recipe is so simple with only a handful of ingredients. A quick marinade with lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and spices penetrates flavors throughout.
Grilling not only adds flavor, it creates those recognizable lines of charred goodness. Alternately you can cook indoors on a griddle skillet.
Lime Marinated Mango Habanero Chicken recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Meaty grilled chicken with a bit of spice and fresh tang, paired with rich and fruity salsa.
Texture: Tender, moist and juicy.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: This recipe is gluten free. Try it with fish as a fun alternative.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Lime Marinated Mango Habanero Chicken
- 4 medium chicken breasts, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 2 pounds total
- Juice from 4 limes
- ⅛ cup olive oil, plus extra
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 jar Mango Habanero Salsa
- Place all ingredients, except spinach and salsa, in a large ziplock or bowl. Shake or stir to evenly coat. Cover and store in fridge at least 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours) to marinate.
- Preheat grill or griddle skillet to medium heat and lightly grease. Remove chicken and discard marinade. Cook chicken 6-8 minutes, or until charred marks appear on one side. Rotate and cook another 6-8 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Remove from pan.
- Place spinach in pan and cook until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Served cooked chicken over spinach and top with desired amount of salsa. Garnish with additional lime juice or cilantro leaves if desired.
Note: Prep time does not include half hour or more of marinating time.