Mushroom, Spinach and Ham Quiche. Mushroom, spinach, ham and cheese create a creamy, rich and moist breakfast quiche in this easy to make recipe.
Speaking of a plethora of events happing, I recently moved. It was a local move less than an hour away, but still manages to be a lot of work regardless of distance. I’m getting settled and hope to get back to my recipe development and food photography soon. I’ll be learning the lighting of my new location and best places to photograph. Hey, I feel life should always be changing and challenging.
Enough rambling and back to the reason you’re here; this Mushroom, Spinach and Ham Quiche recipe. I was surprised at how simple quiches are to make. Vegetables and sometimes meat are combined with an egg base and baked in a pie crust; simple as that.
To make this recipe more accessible I recommend using a store-bought pie crust. Hey, it’s not cheating. A mixture of mushrooms, spinach, ham and cheese create a creamy, rich and moist quiche. Adding a pan of water in rack below adds moisture to the baked quiche. Read my food science tip below for a more detailed explanation.
Food Science and Cooking Tips
- Water evaporates as it boils, creating steam in the oven and adds moisture to the quiche. It also helps to catch any spills if you fill the pie crust too close to the top. I learned this the hard way and had a mess in the bottom of my oven.
- For vegetarian option: remove ham from recipe and it will still taste yummy
Products used in this recipe:
Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Nonstick 4-Quart Chef’s PanGlass Cover
3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/Yellow
Pyrex Easy Grab 9.5 Inch Pie Plate
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Mushroom, Spinach and Ham Quiche
- 1 pre-made 9-inch pie crust, use gluten-free if needed
- ¾ cup cooked deli ham, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4- ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Sprinkle 1-cup of cheese over bottom of pie crust. Top with ham.
- Heat olive oil to medium-high heat in a large pan or skillet. Add onion, frozen spinach and mushrooms. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms and onions are slightly tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat and arrange over ham in pie crust.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk together until blended. Pour over ham and vegetables in pie crust (do not overfill). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place a large baking dish halfway filled with water in bottom rack of oven (this adds moisture to quiche). Place quiche on top rack and bake 40-45 minutes. Top of quiche will be golden brown, mostly firm when jiggled, and a knife inserted should come out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Notes: Leftovers can be stored covered in a refrigerator for a few days. Microwave or bake before serving.