This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Foster Farms. All opinions are 100% mine.
Some of my most popular recipes on the blog are chicken breast and slow cooker recipes. This Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken combines these two elements into one easy, wholesome, and versatile recipe. It’s the perfect base for a wide range of meals such as sandwiches, burritos, tacos, salads, or casseroles.
This recipe features chicken breast slow cooked in a simple blend of pantry spices until fork tender. Even better, it requires almost no hands-on time and can be started in the morning so you can come home to a ready-made dinner and delicious smelling home. That’s one of my favorite parts of slow cooking, just set it and forget until you are ready to enjoy.
This shredded slow cooker chicken can be made with just a few spices you have on hand, but I like to include additional seasonings for more complex flavors. You most likely already have all of them in your pantry. Here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Chicken breast
- Chicken stock (or broth)
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
For the best flavor and guaranteed delicious chicken, I recommend Foster Farms Simply RaisedⓇ Free Range Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets. These are antibiotic-free, air-chilled, raised free range with 100% vegetarian feed and no added hormones. Their chicken is humanley raised by local farmers.
This is a brand that’s in my regular rotation. You can taste the difference and feel good about using quality chicken. Look for their products at a retailer near you or use their store finder.
How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Simply add chicken breasts to a slow cooker and add chicken stock. Then sprinkle both sides with the spices and seasonings. Cover and cook in a slow cooker or Crockpot on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Open the lid, let cool slightly, then shred the chicken breasts with a fork or meat shredder. Stir into the liquid and use it in your favorite meal.
Answers to Common Questions
How Long to Slow Cook Chicken
Slow cook chicken breast in a slow cooker or Crockpot on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
Should You Close Lid While Slow Cooking
It is recommended to cover the chicken (and other meats) while slow cooking. This will hold in the heat and moisture, and prevent drying out.
Do You Need to Add Liquid
Unlike pressure cooking, liquid is not required when slow cooking. For this shredded chicken breast, chicken stock is included to add moisture and flavor. It also helps blend in the spices and seasonings more evenly.
What to Serve Shredded Chicken With
This Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Breast can go with almost any recipe.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use it.
- Shredded chicken sandwiches
- Breakfast scrambles or omelets
How Long to Store Leftovers
Cooked chicken will store in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. If you want to cook extras you can freeze the shredded chicken for longer storage.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 3 pounds Foster Farms Free Range Simply Raised Chicken Breast Fillets
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock, or broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker or Crockpot.
- Add the chicken stock.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining spices and ingredients. Sprinkle half of it over the chicken breast. Rotate the chicken then sprinkle with the remaining seasoning blend.
- Cover and slow cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Remove the lid and let cool slightly.
- Transfer the chicken to another large dish or bowl, reserving any remaining liquid. Use two forks or a meat shredder to shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the reserved liquid and serve as desired. Some serving suggestions are sandwiches, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, soups, salads, or casseroles.