Learn how to make an amazing Mexican style Sweet Potato Breakfast Tacos with a unique set of ingredients. Plus learn why you should use cream in eggs to create perfect, fluffy scrambled eggs.
Fluffy scrambled eggs create a lush bed for crispy bacon pieces, roasted sweet potato cubes, melted cheese, picante sauce and fresh cilantro in these unique fall-themed breakfast tacos.
Tips for Making the Best Breakfast Tacos
- Use mini flour tortillas and heat them up so they’re warm and soft before adding the taco filling. You could use corn tortillas (plus will make these breakfast tacos gluten-free) but they’re tougher and will give a different flavor. I find the flour tortillas are best for breakfast tacos.
- Feel free to add extra chili and spices for extra heat. You could top with hot sauce or add fresh or dried chili to the salsa or sweet potato
- Make sure you cut the sweet potato into even cubes so they cook evenly
- If you don’t have cheddar cheese you could try pepper or monterey jack, queso, manchego, gruyere or fontina. They’d all work really well!
- Adding half and half to scramble eggs make them light and fluffy.
- Can use crumbled cooked sausage or chorizo instead of bacon.
Should I add cream to scrambled eggs?
Yes, adding cream to scrambled eggs creates fluffy and airy eggs. The water in half and half boils and makes steam as it cooks, adding moisture and fluffing up the eggs.
The fat in half and half coats the egg proteins that bond together while cooking; without this they bond together tighter and squeeze out extra moisture, creating tougher eggs. Milk, or even heavy cream, can be used as well; but half and half has the perfect ratio of water to cream.
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Breakfast Tacos
- Dark Chocolate Mocha Breakfast Bread
- Sunny-Side Up Egg and Pizza Breakfast Muffins
- Healthy Vegan Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies
More Taco Recipes You Might Like
- Beer Battered Fish Tacos
- Shrimp Ceviche Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Blackberry Salsa
- Baked Fish Tacos
- Mediterranean Shrimp Tacos
- Carnitas Breakfast Tacos
- Pork Fajita Tacos
Sweet Potato Breakfast Tacos recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Savory, bacony, and cheesy with rich picante flavor.
Texture: Fluffy eggs, crispy bacon, and soft sweet potatoes create a symphony of textures.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: For vegetarian omit bacon. For gluten-free use corn tortillas.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Tacos
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes, about ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 strips bacon, thick-cut
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 mini flour tortillas, or corn
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, as garnish
- Lime wedges, as garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 425º F. Toss sweet potato cubes with olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 20–25 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile: Cook bacon in a skillet or pan on medium-high until crispy; about 8 minutes, rotating half-way. Remove bacon and cut into small pieces. Drain oil from pan, reserving 1–2 tablespoons.
- In medium bowl whisk together eggs, remaining salt and pepper, half and half, and 1-tablespoon picante sauce. Heat leftover bacon grease in pan to medium heat. Add egg mixture, cook 4–5, stirring frequently until eggs are set and fluffy.
- Heat tortillas, then top each with scramble eggs, sweet potatoes and bacon pieces. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and garnish with salsa, fresh cilantro and squeezed lime juice.
- Use mini flour tortillas and heat them up so they're warm and soft before adding the taco filling. You could use corn tortillas but they're much tougher and will give a different flavor. I find the flour tortillas are best for a breakfast recipe.
- Feel free to add extra chili and spices for extra heat. You could top with hot sauce or add fresh or dried chili to the salsa or sweet potato.
- Make sure you cut the sweet potato into even cubes so they cook evenly.
- If you don't have cheddar cheese you could try pepper jack, queso, manchego, gruyere or fontina.
- You can substitute milk or cream for the half and half.
- You could also use crumbled cooked sausage or chorizo instead of bacon.