Gluten free Tropical Themed Chicken Salad is an easy summer potluck recipe. Shredded chicken, mango, celery, coconut flakes and macadamia nuts creates a unique tropical chicken salad.
This summer I’m all about lighter, fresh recipes and outdoor activities. There’s almost unlimited options for summer fun here in the Bay Area. When time doesn’t allow for a weekend or day trip, then smaller get-togethers are a favorite. Potlucks, BBQ gatherings and picnics are a quick and easy way to make the most of your summer. To make it even more festive, serve this Tropical Themed Chicken Salad. Pair it with Chardonnay to add some class, which I’ll highlight below.
This recipe is gluten-free and lightened up, to make it accessible to most guests. This tropical chicken salad is all about quick and easy, saving you prep time and allowing you to focus on the fun and relaxing part of your gathering. Start with cooked rotisserie chicken available at most grocery stores. It’s got plenty of flavor and the soft, tender meat is perfect for a chicken salad. Simply shred then chill ahead of time.
When you’re ready to assemble, mix together the tropical ingredients such as mango chunks, red onion, celery, macadamia nuts and spices. It includes Greek yogurt for a healthier recipe, but a bit of organic sour cream creates that classic tangy chicken salad flavor. You can serve immediately or store in fridge until you’re ready to serve. It will firm up and the flavors will meld a bit more in the fridge.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Tropical Themed Chicken Salad (Gluten-Free)
- 1 ½ pounds baked chicken breasts, or store-bought rotisserie chicken, chilled
- 1 medium mango, diced
- 1 stalk stalk, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using rotisserie chicken: Remove skin, drumsticks, and wings from cooked chicken (not needed for this recipe).
- Shred chicken breasts into smaller pieces (about 4 cups) and chill completely, about 1-2 hours or the night before.
- Add shredded chicken and all remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Stir until well combined. Served immediately or chill until ready to serve.
Note: Prep time does not include chilling chicken. Add more or less sour cream to create desired consistency.