Grilled Chicken Breast
Perfect grilled chicken every time. Learn with this easy summer grilling recipe.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 6 medium chicken breasts boneless, skinless (2-3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil light
- Salt to taste
- Pepper or desired spices to taste
Coat both sides of chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper or desired seasonings.
Let chicken sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Preheat gas grill before cooking to medium-high heat or 350-400° F. Lightly grease grill surface and add chicken. Close lid and cook 8 minutes, or until bottoms are browned with sear marks.
Rotate chicken, close lid, reduce heat to medium and cook 7-10 minutes more, or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
Remove chicken from grill and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Pro tip: You can cook chicken slightly less to 160° and let it rest 5-10 minutes under foil. It will continue to cook and be moister.
Important tips for gas grilled chicken breasts
- Don’t grill chicken cold: As with most meats, you want to bring close to room temperature before grilling or cooking. This allows more even cooking throughout. If you grill directly from the fridge, the outside will cook much faster and you risk chairing before the center reaches the correct temperature.
- Allow chicken breast to sit about 30 minutes at room temperature before cooking. Not much longer or you’ll increase the risk of food contamination.
- Pre-season: Generously coat both sides of chicken with light olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and desired seasonings. The olive oil helps to hold in moisture while cooking, increases those nice golden sear marks and helps seasonings stick better to the meat.
- Preheat the grill: Preheat the gas grill to medium-high until internal the temp reaches 350-400° degrees F. The grill needs to be hot when you add chicken, allowing it to sear and cook evenly.
- How to add chicken breasts to gas grill: Lightly grease cooking grates of pre-heated gas grill to prevent sticking. Immediately add chicken with at least 2-3 inches between pieces. Close lid and cook.
- Reduce heat to medium midway: Rotate mid-way for even sear marks and cooking.
- Serving: Allow chicken to rest 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. This will keep more juices and help with moist and tender chicken.
Serving: 6ounces | Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 629mg | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.7mg