Baked Chicken Breast
Follow these steps for simple moist oven baked chicken breasts, every time. These perfect baked chicken breasts may become a new family favorite.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Resting time 5 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts about 8-ounces each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil light
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325º F. Line large baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
Lightly drizzle chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper (or other seasonings or your choice). Rotate chicken breasts and repeat for the other sides. Let chicken sit at room temp for about 30 minutes.
Bake 30-33 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160º F with a digital instant-read thermometer and chicken is no longer pink inside. Note: The safe internal temp for chicken is 165º F, but it will continue to cook as it rests.
Remove from oven, lightly cover with foil to hold in heat and hold in moisture. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Bringing chicken to room temp creates more even cooking throughout, but can be skipped in a pinch to save time.
- Lining baking dish with foil or parchment paper makes cleanup easy.
- Try adding extra flavor with herbs, seasonings, and spices such as Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, curry powder and/or cayenne pepper.
- Instructions are for chicken breasts about 1-inch thick. Add or reduce 5-10 minutes of baking time depending on thickness.
- If cooking frozen chicken breast, add 10-15 minutes baking time.
- Do not open oven until chicken is close to done as this will let steam out. No need to rotate chicken during baking.
- To save leftovers: Allow baked chicken to cool on a plate. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3–4 days. Store whole, shredded, or chopped pieces tightly sealed in freezer up to 3–4 months.
Serving: 6ounces | Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 34.7g | Fat: 3.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 629mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.6mg