Strawberry Lemon Cream Breakfast Tarts
Strawberry Lemon Cream Breakfast Tarts made with whipped lemon cream filling over flaky pastry squares. Topped with fresh spring strawberries.
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 17 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 9 tarts
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 6 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 1-¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup canned whipped cream plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
Preheat oven to 400 F. Unroll pastry sheet onto lightly floured cutting board. Cut into 9 three-inch squares. Using a sharp knife, lightly score ½-inch in from edges to create an inner square. Poke centers multiple times with fork. Lightly brush tops with egg.
Place pastry squares on a parchment lined baking sheet one inch apart, bake 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and flatten centers with back of a spoon. Bake 7-10 minute more until golden brown. Remove from oven and press centers down one more time. Set aside.
Meanwhile: In a medium bowl, beat or stir together remaining ingredients, except strawberries, until combined and smooth. Fill center of each pastry square with lemon cream mixture
Top with chopped strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Tips for making Lemon Cream Breakfast Tarts
- Be sure cream cheese is at room temp. Otherwise it won't be soft enough to mix into lemon cream
- Use puff pastry sheets for perfect, flaky dough and to save lots of time, making it an easy breakfast treat
- Poke holes in dough to allow are to release while baking. Bake partway, press centers down with a fork, then continue to bake. This prevents centers from puffing up.
- Whipped cream added to lemon curd creates nice sweetness and airy texture
- Use ripe, preferably organic strawberries, that smell sweet for best flavor
- Fill pastries and serve immediately to enjoy them crisp and warm
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.1mg