Lemon Chicken Pasta with Broccoli
Broccoli florets, lemon juice and zest with garlic, chicken and whole-wheat pasta.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil divided (not extra-virgin)
- 3 medium chicken breasts boneless, skinless (about 18-ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese as garnish
Cook desired amount of pasta according to package directions; I used half a package. Cook al dente (firm), remove from heat and drain. Stir in 2-tbs olive oil to prevent sticking.
Meanwhile: Cut chicken into ½-inch cubes and toss with lemon pepper seasoning.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often until opaque and mostly cooked.
Turn heat to high and add garlic, saute 3-4 minutes more to lightly brown chicken. Remove chicken from pan.
Reduce heat to medium-high and heat remaining olive oil in pan. Add broccoli and saute 3-4 minutes. Do not over-cook as broccoli should be crisp.
Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, cooked chicken and pasta. Serve with Parmesan as garnish.
- To serve as a pasta salad: Chill prepared pasta and serve cold.
- Use the good quality chicken preferably free range for the best flavor.
- Amount of pasta is suggested serving size. Use more or less if desired.
- Use shredded or shaved parmesan, instead of powdered, for best flavor.
- Do not to overcook the broccoli as well as having a mushy texture you'll lose a lot of nutrients.
- Cut the chicken into even sized pieces so they cook evenly and brown better.
- Leftovers will store well in the fridge to be eaten cold the next day as a pasta salad.
- Make this dish gluten-free by swapping whole grain pasta for a gluten-free variety such as rice noodles.
Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 841mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 465IU | Vitamin C: 66.6mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3.3mg