Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camaron)
A unique twist on classic shrimp cocktail makes a perfect summer seafood appetizer.
Prep Time 12 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Total Time 18 minutes
- 2 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable juice blend or Clamato
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice 3 to 4 limes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 medium avocados cubed
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup diced red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place shrimp in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to coat.
Lightly grease grill and cook shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through and slightly charred. Remove shrimp and cool slightly. If you don't have a grill, see notes below.
In a clean bowl, stir together remaining ingredients until combined. Place desired amount of cocktail sauce in glasses or small bowls.
Peel tails off shrimps (optional) then place on edge of prepared glasses and serve.
How to boil shrimp:
- If shrimp are small, use a grill basket or skewers to prevent falling through grates.
- Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice for extra flavor.
- Clamato has more sodium than vegetable juice. Reduce salt in the recipe if using. Or use a low-sodium version.
- Use organic vegetable juice for the most nutrients and the best flavor.
- To serve, simply dip the cooked shrimp into the sauce. Or serve with saltine crackers.
How to cook shrimp in a pan:
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Dump in shrimp and stir. Boil 2 to 3 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Drain water then sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Heat a bit of oil in a large non-stick pan to medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook shrimp 1 to 2 minutes per side, until they turn pink and are cooked through.
Serving: 1shrimp cocktail | Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 381mg | Sodium: 1537mg | Potassium: 771mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1230IU | Vitamin C: 59.7mg | Calcium: 258mg | Iron: 4mg