Green Tea Matcha Waffles
Learn how to make nutrient-rich matcha waffles full of clean ingredients you can feel good about; topped with a homemade vibrant matcha tea agave syrup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 waffles
- 2 ¼ cups oat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup matcha green tea powder plus 3 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium ripe banana mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup honey or agave syrup
- ¼ cup agave syrup for topping
In a large bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, ¼ cup matcha powder, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients, except ¼ cup agave syrup. Pour into dry mixture. Whisk together until just combined, small lumps in the batter are fine.
Let the batter sit and thicken for 10 minutes while you heat up waffle iron.
Pour roughly ½-cup batter into center of heated and greased waffle iron. Cook each waffle according to waffle iron directions (usually 3-5 minutes) and serve with syrup.
To make matcha green tea syrup: Combine ¼ agave syrup and desired amount of green tea powder. I used about 3 tablespoons to create a dark emerald green syrup.
- Use a good quality organic matcha powder for best flavor
- You can easily adjust the strength and color of the matcha syrup by adding more or less powder.
- Grease the waffle pan before pouring in the batter to prevent sticking.
- Use a ½ cup to measure out the batter in equal quantities.
- Use ripe bananas, they're sweeter and much easier to mash.
- Have leftovers? Waffles store well in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze them for months. Simply pop them in a toaster or oven to defrost.
Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 270mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 2.6mg