Black Rice, Roasted Beet and Kale Salad
Healthy and balanced kale, roasted beet and black rice salad with earthy, nutty flavors.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 large beets
- 1 cup black rice uncooked
- 4 cups chopped raw kale
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta omit for vegan
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts toasted
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove leaves, cutting into main part of beet. Rinse and half beets, then wrap in foil. Roast on a baking sheet for at 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from foil and allow to cool, chop into cubes and set aside.
Meanwhile: In a medium pan, heat 1 ¾ cups water, 1 cup Village Harvest Black Rice and salt to taste on high until boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a large bowl toss kale, roasted beets, cooked rice, red onion, feta and walnuts.
To make vinaigrette: Whisk together remaining ingredients from olive oil to pepper until well combined. Pour over salad and toss to evenly coat.
- You can prep the beets and vinaigrette in advance and store in the fridge
- You can replace the feta for a soft goat cheese which would also work well
- Can't find black rice? Use wholegrain as a great substitute as it will still provide a ton of fiber
- To add sweetness add a little honey to the vinaigrette
- If making the vinaigrette in advance put all ingredients in a mason jar and shake to combine. This makes it easy for storing in the fridge.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 211mg | Potassium: 193mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 3375IU | Vitamin C: 40.7mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1.1mg