Brown Butter Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
Rice krispies, marshmallow and peppermint in a sweet and chewy dessert bar.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 20 blondies
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 tablespoons crushed candy canes or peppermint candy
Cook butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat for 5–7 minutes, stirring often, until butter turns golden brown (be careful not to brown too much or burn).
Reduce heat to low and add in marshmallows. Stir often until melted, then stir in peppermint extract.
Remove from heat, stir in rice cereal and peppermint pieces until evenly coated and all cereal pieces are clumped together.
Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with parchment paper. Add rice krispie treat mixture to pan, use another sheet of parchment paper to pat down and form into an even flat layer.
Chill slightly to firm if desired, then remove from pan and cut into squares. Store in sealed container or fridge to keep freshness and texture.
- When browning the butter make sure to watch it carefully whilst stirring. Take it off the heat as soon as it turns a golden brown color, if it burns it will give a bitter taste to the rice krispies.
- Remember to line your baking pan before adding the mixture, these can be hard to remove without it.
- Don't add any more than 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract as it can be overpowering.
- Chill the rice krispie treats in the fridge to firm up before cutting this speeds things up and makes it much easier to cut into squares.
Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 6mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 0.2mg