Sweet Potato Breakfast Tacos
Scrambled eggs, bacon, roasted sweet potato cubes, cheese, picante sauce and fresh cilantro.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes about ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper divided
- 6 strips bacon thick-cut
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 mini flour tortillas or corn
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro as garnish
- Lime wedges as garnish
Pre-heat oven to 425º F. Toss sweet potato cubes with olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 20–25 minutes, until browned and tender.
Meanwhile: Cook bacon in a skillet or pan on medium-high until crispy; about 8 minutes, rotating half-way. Remove bacon and cut into small pieces. Drain oil from pan, reserving 1–2 tablespoons.
In medium bowl whisk together eggs, remaining salt and pepper, half and half, and 1-tablespoon picante sauce. Heat leftover bacon grease in pan to medium heat. Add egg mixture, cook 4–5, stirring frequently until eggs are set and fluffy.
Heat tortillas, then top each with scramble eggs, sweet potatoes and bacon pieces. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and garnish with salsa, fresh cilantro and squeezed lime juice.
- Use mini flour tortillas and heat them up so they're warm and soft before adding the taco filling. You could use corn tortillas but they're much tougher and will give a different flavor. I find the flour tortillas are best for a breakfast recipe.
- Feel free to add extra chili and spices for extra heat. You could top with hot sauce or add fresh or dried chili to the salsa or sweet potato.
- Make sure you cut the sweet potato into even cubes so they cook evenly.
- If you don't have cheddar cheese you could try pepper jack, queso, manchego, gruyere or fontina.
- You can substitute milk or cream for the half and half.
- You could also use crumbled cooked sausage or chorizo instead of bacon.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 243mg | Sodium: 907mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6710IU | Vitamin C: 1.1mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 2.5mg