BBQ Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Easy Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks smothered with sweet and smoky thick barbecue sauce.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 12 pieces
- 3-4 pounds chicken drumsticks (legs) skin on, 12–15 pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
If chicken drumsticks are frozen, place in the fridge to defrost 2-3 days before baking. Preheat oven to 375º F. Let chicken sit at room temp 20-30 minutes.
Pat chicken dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Do not rinse before; see cooking tips section above for details.
Place chicken drumsticks on a large foil or parchment lined baking pan. Lightly sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
Mix together barbecue sauce and honey in a small bowl. Use a brush to generously coat both sides of chicken drumsticks with barbecue sauce. Note: use about ⅔ of the sauce.
Bake for 25 minutes. Rotate drumsticks and generously coat tops with rest of barbecue sauce. Note: If sauce spilled onto foil and is browned, transfer drumsticks to a clean baking sheet with foil to prevent burning of sauce.
Bake 20 minutes more, or until chicken reaches a safe internal temp of at least 165º F. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Optional: Brush tops with additional barbecue sauce (that hasn't touched raw chicken) using a clean brush before serving.
- I used KC Masterpiece Private Stock Original BBQ for the sauce but any will do as long as it’s thick and has good flavor
- Use good quality chicken (organic and/or free range) for the best flavor
- Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture
- Don't rinse the chicken beforehand, rinsing spreads germs and bacteria in your kitchen sink.
- Make sure to season the chicken well with salt and pepper before brushing with the glaze
- Line baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup
- Don't cover chicken drumsticks when baking. This will create a soggy skin.
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 568mg | Potassium: 280mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.8mg