Healthy Tuna Cakes
Albacore canned tuna flavored with cilantro, lime, jalapeño, onion and pico de gallo salsa; served protein style over lettuce for a healthy back to school meal.
Prep Time 12 minutes
Cook Time 8 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 3 (5-ounce) cans Solid White Albacore in water
- ⅓ cup panko crumbs
- 1 large egg
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 medium lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 5 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 cup pico de gallo salsa
Drain the tuna by pressing it into a sieve, ensuring all the water has drained.
Place drained tuna and all remaining ingredients except lettuce and pico de gallo in a large bowl. Stir together until well combined.
Use a half-cup measuring spoon to pack and form 4 or 5 tuna cake patties. Lightly grease and heat a large nonstick pan to medium-high heat.
Add cakes to the pan and cook 3 minutes, or until bottom is lightly browned and a crust is formed. Carefully flip with a flat spatula and cook other sides until browned.
Removed tuna cakes and place one on each washed lettuce leave.
Top with pico de gallo and garnish with extra cilantro before serving.
- Use the highest quality tuna possible (responsibly wild caught). I used Bumble Bee brand.
- Don't like cilantro? Swap it for fresh parsley or basil
- Adjust the spiciness by adding more or less jalapeño
- Use a half cup measuring spoon to create equal sized patties
- You can prep the tuna cakes in advance and keep them in the fridge (covered)
- Carefully handling tuna cakes. Use a flat, large spatula to transfer to the pan, flip, and remove from pan.
- Use a non-stick pan (lightly greased) so you can flip the tuna cakes easily
- Have leftovers? store them in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze in a suitable container.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1285mg | Potassium: 628mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3505IU | Vitamin C: 8.6mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.3mg