Peanut butter healthy cereal bars are great for on the go. Plus you’ll learn how peanut butter and honey create perfect chewy texture. Quick and healthy Peanut Butter Cereal Bars made with cereal, oats, peanut butter, honey, chia and flax seeds.
Breakfast is an important meal around here, as you can tell from my recent brunch themed posts. My easy go to breakfast is often smoothies, however you can’t forget classic and a family favorite, cereal as well. Sometimes I even add cereal or granola to smoothies, but will save that for another recipe.
For this Peanut Butter Cereal Bars I’m mixing cereal and oats into delicious, healthy, filling, nutrient rich, vegan and gluten-free cereal bars. I wanted to include more adjectives but I think you get the point.
These cereal bars are easy to make in big batches and a wonderful option for having breakfast ready, saving you valuable time in the morning. Enjoy them with your morning tea of coffee, or take them with you to work as a healthy snack. If you’re craving a sweet snack, try these instead of vending machine packages for a balance snack that’s not full of empty calories.
These cereal bars are simply a mixture of Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate, old fashioned oats, flax and chia seeds, peanut butter and honey. Mixed together into a dense and chewy breakfast cereal bar that’s vegan and gluten free. Peanut better is full of protein while chia and flax seeds contain fiber and healthy fats.
What holds cereal bars together?
Peanut butter and honey not only add flavor and sweetness to these cereal bars, they’re the key ingredient that holds them together. Otherwise it would just be cereal and dry ingredients. Simply adding these two ingredients changes the entire dynamic of the recipe.
Heating first helps combine the flavors and makes it slightly more liquid. When you mix in with the dry ingredients it evenly coats and binds everything together (just enough to moisten without being runny). After you pack down into a dish and let it cool, the mixture will firm up into perfect chewy cereal bars.
Peanut Butter Cereal Bars recipe at-a-glance:
- Difficulty: Super easy
- Flavor profiles: Rich chocolate with nutty hazelnut and peanut butter, and just a hint of sweetness
- Texture: Moist and fluffy thick waffles with crisp outside
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Peanut Butter Cereal Bars (Gluten Free and Vegan)
- 3 cups gluten-free flaked cereal, honey and/or chocolate flavor
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 2 cups natural peanut butter, creamy
- 1 cup agave syrup, or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Sea salt as garnish
- In large bowl, stir together cereal oats, flax and chia seeds; set aside.
- In small saucepan heat peanut butter and honey over medium heat, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over cereal mixture and stir to combine well.
- Transfer to a parchment lined 10x15 baking dish. Evenly press mixture to form a dense even layer, about 1-inch thick. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt (optional).
- Allow to cool and set. Cut into squares.