Deli ham and cheddar baked into fluffy, crispy Whole Wheat Ham and Cheese Scones. It’s an easy to make breakfast loaded with protein and just a bit of sweetness.
Deli meats and sliced cheeses are a convenient ingredient for busy families. I sure had my fair share of sandwiches in packed lunches growing up. There’s something pleasing about a flavorful meal that’s full of protein — all in one easy-to-go package. If you’re looking for something beyond your everyday sandwich then you’ll love these Whole Wheat Ham and Cheese Scones. It’s like a ham and cheese sandwich, but in a wholesome handheld breakfast.
Scone are favorite breakfast treat of mine. They require little time to prepare and have unlimited flavor options. Usually mine are sweet like these White Chocolate Cranberry Scones and incorporate some sort of dried fruit, but felt a fun savory ham and cheese scone would be an ideal family breakfast.
These Whole Wheat Ham and Cheese Scones are made with mostly common pantry items to create a fluffy, chewy and crispy treat that will put a smile on any face. Just a hint of honey in the dough compliments the savory ham. If you want to take the sweet and savory combo further, drizzle extra honey on top once baked.
Enjoy these Whole Wheat Ham and Cheese Scones as a rewarding breakfast or easy family meal. It’s full of whole-wheat, ground flax seeds and protein for a nourishing, filling meal the pleasing to the eye and your tastebuds.
Whole Wheat Ham and Cheese Scones recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Meaty and cheesy baked into flavorful whole wheat scones with a hint of sweet honey.
Texture: Soft fluffy center, crispy outside and gooey baked cheese oozing out, yum!
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Whole Wheat Ham and Cheese Scones
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ⅜ teaspoon baking soda, just under half tsp.
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sliced butter, cold
- 6 slices deli ham, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup light buttermilk, plus extra
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 450 F° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, flax seeds, baking powder, soda and salt. Add cold butter and use a pastry cutter or hands to incorporate into mixture. It should be combined, with plenty of little bits throughout. Stir in ham and cheese, set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together buttermilk and honey. Stir into dry mixture, just until combined; adding a bit of buttermilk if needed. Mixture should be moist, but have consistency closer to a dough than batter.
- Place mixture on a lightly floured flat surface. Form into a ball and squeeze together to form a dough. Flatten dough with hands to 1-inch thickness. Fold in half, then flatten again into a 1-inch round, about 6-inches in diameter. Cut evenly into 6 wedges.
- Lightly coat tops with buttermilk, then place a couple inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake 14-16 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned (cheese that has oozed out will have a lovely brown as well). Cool on a wire rack slightly before serving.