Tropical Shrimp Ceviche Tacos are an easy mixture of chopped shrimp, red onion, bell pepper, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno and citrus juices. Mixed with diced avocado and mango and served in corn tortillas.
My birthday is coming up in less than a month, which also happens to be Cinco de Mayo. This is perfect, as Mexican food is officially my favorite cuisine. While I love pretty much all types of food, there’s something dear about this cuisine.
The ingredients and flavors meld together perfectly. Everything from spicy, savory, buttery, tangy and citrusy—it’s all here. These Tropical Shrimp Ceviche Tacos combine all those and more.
This bright, bold and flavorful dish will rival any restaurant ceviche. It’s also much easier to make than it looks, which was a pleasant surprise. Ceviche is typically seafood, such as fish, shrimp (or even conch, which I discovered in Belize) that is cooked in citrus juices.
To be safe, I recommend blanching the shrimp fist. A quick dump in boiling water will ensure it cooks completely and is safe to eat, without affecting flavor and texture. You could go the traditional route, but would need to let the shrimp sit much longer in citrus juice.
Mix in diced avocado and mango and serve in corn tortillas for an authentic homemade Mexican appetizer. For keto shrimp tacos, try serving them in low carb tortillas and omit the mango.
With spring finally here and summer just around the corner, it’s a wonderful addition to your backyard BBQ and entertaining menu.
More Shrimp Recipes You Might Like
- Coconut Shrimp Curry
- Easy Shrimp Paella
- Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya
- Tropical Shrimp Stir Fry
- Shrimp Fajitas Skewers
- Coconut Shrimp Springrolls
- Shrimp Scampi Flatbread
- Mediterranean Shrimp Tacos
More Mexican themed recipes you may like
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Tropical Shrimp Ceviche Tacos
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp , peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium limes, juiced
- 2 medium lemons, juiced
- 2 medium tangerines, juiced
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 medium mango, diced
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 6 small corn tortillas
- Defrost shrimp in fridge if frozen, remove and discard tails. Prepare an ice bath in large bowl, set aside. In a large pot, bring water with salt to a strong boil. Add shrimp and cook 1 minute or just until opaque.
- Drain hot water, then add shrimp to ice bath to chill and stop cooking. Drain and chop shrimp into smaller cubes.
- Place shrimp in a medium non-reactive bowl. Add lime, lemon, and tangerine juices. Stir in red onion and jalapeno. Shrimp should be submerged in liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours. Stir in bell pepper and tomato. Chill additional 30 minutes to an hour.
- Before serving, stir in avocado, mango and cilantro. Heat or toast corn tortillas. Using a slotted spoon, scoop shrimp ceviche (allowing liquid to drain first) into tortillas and serve.