No elaborate stuffing recipe is needed to create these Apricot and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts. Just a few ingredients create a classic stuffing flavor with dried apricots. One bite and you’re transported to favorite family meals of the past.
Comfort food was a cherished memory as a child. Dinner time was an important ritual in our household and often consisted of rich, carb-heavy food. Those starchy, creamy and cheesy-based foods hold an important place in my heart, but my new comfort food favorites are lighter and healthier, and can be enjoyed on a more regular basis.
Today’s comfort food is food you feel comfortable eating. These Apricot and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts are a prime example of that. Ideal for upcoming cozy fall meals or holiday entrees, it’s a simple dish full of fresh, clean, and wholesome ingredients.
Lean, antibiotic-free chicken breasts, fresh vegetables like spinach, onion and celery, dried apricots and just a bit of whole-wheat bread crumbs create a simple dish that’s both comforting and nourishing.
Besides vegetables, lean protein is the biggest part of my diet. Quality meat means quality nutrients that help support a healthy lifestyle. I feel great knowing my chicken is vegetarian fed and locally grown, without unwanted additives. As part of your new comfort food routine, look for Simply Raised Chicken, along with fresh and organic vegetables, for easy and flavorful comfort food recipes you’ll remember for years to come.
Apricot and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe at-a-glance:
Flavor profiles: Savory herbed chicken with fruity apricot stuffing center.
Texture: Tender moist chicken with fluffy filling.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: Use gluten-free bread crumbs if needed.
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Apricot and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil, divided
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste, about ½ teaspoon
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped dried apricots
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat panko crumbs, use gluten-free if needed
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (about 4 breasts)
- Heat 1-tablespoon olive oil to medium heat in a large skillet or nonstick pan. Add celery, onion, ½-tablespoon Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Stir in spinach, dried apricots and panko crumbs. Cook 2-3 minutes more, until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- On a flat surface, pound chicken breasts flat with a mallet to about ¾-inch thick. Remove breasts and carefully cut a slit horizontally into the sides to create a pocket; do not cut completely in half.
- Evenly stuff with prepared stuffing mixture. Lightly sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, and remaining Italian seasoning. If desired, secure opening with toothpicks.
- Heat remaining olive oil in cleaned pan to medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Rotate and brown other side. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 7-10 minutes more, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.