These Cheesy Hot Dog Tartlets are a quick and easy appetizer, perfect for your game day party. Puff pastry sheets, hot dog slices, sautéed mushroom and melted cheese bake together into fun handheld snacks.
After the holidays and New Year it’s time to look forward to new seasonal recipe themes. Appetizers and snacks are a hit anytime, but even better for game day parties. Recipes like these Cheesy Hot Dog Tartlet appetizers and other easy, snackable recipes are coming into season. What’s not to like about simple appetizer recipes that require only a handful of ingredients?
One of my favorite parts about sports is Homegating. I like to think of it as the best of tailgating, but in the comfort and convenience of your home. You can hang out with friends before the game and enjoy tasty appetizers and dishes, all in your own living room. No need to buy expensive tickets, travel and find parking. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching some sports in-person, but a tabletop tailgate party at home is even better most of the time.
Whether you’re a fan of sports or not, you can enjoy these Cheesy Hot Dog Tartlets. It’s a super simple recipe that uses pastry sheets, sautéed mushrooms, shredded cheddar cheese and hot dog slices. Baked into puffed pastry circles, the hot dog, cheese and mushroom filling is surrounded by crisp, golden dough. Small, handheld appetizers like these are ideal for parties, as they’re easy for guests to grab and snack throughout the game.
When hosting a party, it’s all about presentation and variety. Try different garnishes and present with desired condiments or dipping sauces. Serve these Cheesy Hot Dog Tartlets to your guests during your Homegate party and they’ll disappear quickly. Be prepared to make (at least) another batch or pair with more of your favorite party appetizer recipes.
Cheesy Hot Dog Tartlets recipe at-a-glance:
- Difficulty: Super easy
- Flavor profiles: Meaty and cheesy with a buttery tang.
- Texture: Juicy hot dog slices over a flaky pastry crust.
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Cheesy Hot Dog Tartlets
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 puff pastry sheets, (1 package)
- 1 egg white
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 hotdogs, sliced
- 1 stalk green onion, sliced
- Mustard or other condiments
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and tender; 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly then chop. Set aside.
- Open pastry sheets on a flat, floured surface. Use a 3-inch cookie cutter (or edge of a glass) to cut each sheet into 9 circles, making 18 total. Place circles on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Brush tops with egg white.
- Place about 1-teaspoon of chopped mushroom in center of each. Sprinkle with cheese, add three hot dog slices, then sprinkle center with more cheese. Be sure to leave edges of pastry open so they puff up.
- Bake 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Sprinkle with green onion and serve immediately with desired condiments.