Roasted Eggplant Parmesan Pizza Slices. Heathy, gluten-free and fun to make! Crispy breaded sliced eggplant with marinara sauce and Parmesean cheese. A healthy alternative to pizza.
Pizza are one those guilty pleasure foods. There’s something about dense, chewy bread loaded with savory cheese and tangy sauce, plus all the other toppings! I admit I’ve enjoyed my fare share of pizza and could probably eat it every day. I especially like this unique Avocado Pesto and Chicken Mexican Pizza I created.
These Roasted Eggplant Parmesan Pizza Slices let you enjoy a pizza-like joy with far less calories. You get a good dose of vegetables, without any gluten or extra carbs (just be sure to use gluten-free bread crumbs if needed). A little bit of marina cheese, Italian seasonings and Parmesan and you’re good to go; pizza on a vegetable.
The key to cooking and roasting eggplant is to draw out the moisture before, otherwise you’ll end up with wet and soggy eggplant. See the cookings tips section below for more detail. Did you know all my recipes include cooking tips or food science information, who says you can’t learn while you cook?
Cooking Tips and Why You Salt Eggplant
Using salt to draw moisture out of vegetables is know as degorging. This is common for vegetables with high water content like eggplant and zucchini. Slice or cube your vegetables and generously coat all sides with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes to an hour. You’ll see water beads form on top. Rinse under water to remove excess salt and pat dry, then cook according to directions.
Products used in this recipe:
Are you following me on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram? Also sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Roasted Eggplant Parmesan Pizza Slices
- 1 large eggplant, about 1 ½-pounds
- Salt for sprinkling
- 3 –4 egg whites
- 2 cups panko or gluten-free bread crumbs
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 cup pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant crosswise into roughly 8 thick slices (at least 1/2-inch thick). Discard small ends, or cook separately. Places slices over double-layer of thick paper towels. Generously sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with salt. Let stand for at least 30 minutes to draw out excess moisture. Rinse under water to remove salt and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and grease. In medium bowl lightly beat egg whites. In separate large bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant slices into bowl with egg whites, coating both sides. Dip into bowl of breading, press down and flip to coat both sides.
- Place slices onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs if there is any eggplant still exposed. Bake for 15-18 minutes until tops are slightly browned. Carefully rotate slices and bake 15-18 minutes more until eggplant is tender. Spoon pizza sauce over tops, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes more until cheese is melted and eggplant is completely cooked through.
The Kitchn has a detailed post on why you should salt roasted eggplant.