Easy Sloppy Joe Lasagna recipe hack. Sloppy Joe sauce, tomatoes, ground beef, mushrooms, ricotta and cheese make a unique lasagna dinner.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
Within this recipe post you’ll learn how to make Sloppy Joes…as a lasagna! And it’s easier than you think. Plus you’ll learn about oven-ready lasagna noodles and why they are preferred over traditional lasagna noodles.
A foodie co-worker and I thought it’d be fun to do a Chopped at home variation. We’d pick ten ingredients each, ranging from normal, unique to strange. Then other co-workers would narrow it down to three, and we’d create something that included each of the ingredients to be judged by the team. Sounds fun right?
I’ll circle back with how this goes and which ingredients are picked. I just hope it’s not something like olives and peanut butter; but you never know, it could turn into something uniquely amazing.
This Sloppy Joe Lasagna recipe is a little like that, and a good way to get those creative gears spinning. I was tasked with creating a unique recipe “hack” with Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes, MANWICH Sloppy Joe Sauce, and fresh produce, but beyond your traditional chili or sandwich; while being a simple and hearty dinner option for fall.
Like a lightning bolt, Sloppy Joe Lasagna instantly appeared in my head (I hope it’s that easy with those olives and peanut butter). In retrospect there are other variations out there of this, but I’m proud to have thought of this and make it my own. How does Sloppy Joe Lasagna work you ask?
Instead of the standard pasta or marinara sauce, I used Hunt’s canned diced tomatoes and sloppy joe sauce. Then a creamy ricotta and mozzarella cheese filling, and topped with cheddar cheese. I’m pretty sure you can never have too much cheese in a lasagna.
Oven-ready lasagna noodles keeps the recipe prep fast and simple. No pre-boiling or water needed; just layer ingredients and the liquid from the sauce will cook the pasta as it bakes. Crumbled ground beef and sliced mushrooms add heartiness and flavor, while rounding out this Sloppy Joe Lasagna hack.
With Hunt’s Tomatoes and MANWICH Sloppy Joe Sauce you can make delicious dinner meals that require less prep time. Incorporate with other ingredients, like fresh produce, to make you own unique dinner-time favorite; or try this Sloppy Joe Lasagna for you and your family.
Cooking tips: Why oven-ready lasagna noodles are better and how they cook
If you’ve ever made lasagna with traditional boil ahead-of-time noodles you probably know how much of a hassle it can be. For one it takes longer, at least 20 minutes added to your recipe. Plus you run the risk of over or under cooking them; and once you’re ready to assemble they can stick together or flop around.
Oven-ready lasagna noodles are much thinner and have a slightly different gluten ratio. They cook from the liquid and steam during baking; that’s why this recipe uses the liquid from the canned tomatoes. Make sure to completely coat the noodles during layering and don’t overlap them.
Tightly sealing the dish with two layers of foil to keep the heat and moisture in and evenly cook. LA Times has an interesting article on these noodles.
Flavor profiles: Rich, savory and umami from the tomatoes, sloppy joe sauce and ground beef.
Texture: Dense, chewy, creamy, saucy and comforting.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: Omit beef for vegetarian. Use zucchini slices instead of noodles for gluten-free
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Sloppy Joe Lasagna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 15-ounce can Hunt's MANWICH Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 –12 ounces oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Heat olive oil in large non-stick pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 3–5 minutes until fragrant, stirring often. Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned, 7–10 minutes, breaking up meat and stirring during cooking. Remove from heat and drain excess oil. Stir in diced tomatoes (with liquid) and sloppy joe sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine ricotta, mozzarella, egg and dried basil.
- Evenly spread bottom of a greased 10 x13 baking dish with about ½ cup sauce mixture. Top with a single layer of lasagna noodles. Spread with a thin layer of ricotta cheese mixture then top with all of sliced mushrooms. Repeat steps starting with sauce, noodles, then cheese until ingredients are used. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese.
- Completely cover with 2 layers of foil to create a seal. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and noodles are cooked.