Fun and creative zucchini spaghetti nachos. Italian-style gluten-free “nachos” from zucchini chips, with ground turkey, pasta sauce and melted cheeses.
Within this recipe post you’ll learn how to make nachos like you’ve never had, and they’re tasty! Plus learn about roasting and caramelizing vegetables to bring out more flavors.
Growing up nachos were a big thing in our house. Usually the standard Mexican-style with tortilla chips, beef or chicken, beans, cheddar and other goodies. I was known for my specialty: placing shredded cheddar cheese on top of a mound of bagged tortilla chips and microwaving for a bit; instant “gourmet” nachos. Granted I was four, so that was creative at the time. I’ve always loved food and cooking, and as of writing this, have come a long way since my gourmet microwave nachos.
I’m sure you’re all familiar with zucchini spaghetti. It’s a perfect way to enjoy gluten-free spaghetti. What if we take that further; instead of making zucchini noodles, lets use zucchini slices as our chips. Then top with your standard spaghetti ingredients like ground meat, pasta sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Next time you make nachos for your friends, loved one or family, surprise them with Italian “nachos”. They’ll expect the usual chips and beans, but welcome these Turkey and Zucchini Spaghetti Nachos.
Cooking Tips: Roasting veggies for extra flavor
Roasting or grilling vegetables are one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. They caramelize and brown slightly, adding a rich flavor. The natural sugars in vegetables is brought out. Learn more about this in my ultimate guide to caramelized onions. Pre-roasting the zucchini slightly ensure they are cooked through, without burning or drying out the rest of the ingredients.
Products used in this recipe:
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
12-Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet
16×22-Inch Aluminum Sheet Pan
Flavor profiles: Savory, meaty, and cheesy.
Texture: Tender and moist zucchini slices and turkey, topped with gooey cheese.
Dietary Options/Substitutions: This recipe is gluten-free. For vegetarian, omit turkey.
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Turkey and Zucchini Spaghetti Nachos
- 2 large zucchinis, sliced into 3/16-inch thick circles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 25 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Place zucchini slices in a single layer on a foil or parchment lined large baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 5 minutes until is slightly tender, but not browned. Remove from oven and scoop desired amount of sauce over each; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, garlic, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until meat is browned, 7–10 minutes, breaking up meat and stirring during cooking.
- With slotted spoon, scoop turkey over zucchini slices; then top with both cheeses. Bake for 5 minutes more to heat through and melt cheese. If desired, broil on high for roughly 3 minutes to brown. Scoop spaghetti nachos to serve and enjoy.
Are you a fan of nachos? What type of nachos do you usually make?