Easy party or holiday appetizer with Creamy Blue Cheese Puff Pastry Squares. Cream cheese, blue cheese, green onion and parsley create a unique, cheesy topping over flaky puff pastry crust.
When hosting a holiday or family party, you want appetizers that impress your guests and are easy to serve. These Creamy Blue Cheese Puff Pastry Squares do that and so much more. Read on for some of my favorite party hosting tips as well all the details on these unique, shareable party starters made with puff pastry sheets.
Time saving tips for appetizers for a party
Prep well in advance and tidy-up early. Having all the ingredients, decoration and various items on hand helps you focus on the meal-prep.
When cooking for groups, appetizers and meats are easy to make in bulk, and go a long way to feed hungry guests. You could also do the food potluck-style where everyone brings something to share. Generally it’s best to avoid a formal dinner for large groups, unless you’re familiar with cooking and timing multiple dishes to be served at once.
Appetizers are perfect in that you can do a lot of prep work ahead of time, then simply assemble or bake them before or throughout the party. These Creamy Blue Cheese Puff Pastry Squares require only minutes of prep and feed a large crowd. This recipe makes 18 cheesy, flaky squares worthy of any holiday party.
Simply mix together softened cream cheese, crumbled blue cheese, green onion, parsley and pepper for the creamy topping. For the base use puff pastry sheets. These versatile pastry sheets can make all sorts of holiday appetizers, whether it’s a crust, wrap, topping or anything you can think of.
To make the Puff Pastry Squares, simply score a thin line close to the edge and bake the squares for 10 minutes. Press down the centers and bake a bit more. Press down again to create a beautiful thick crust, then fill with the creamy blue cheese mixture. An added to tip to make them even more golden and flaky is to brush the tops with egg before baking.
Creamy Blue Cheese Puff Pastry Squares recipe at-a-glance:
Difficulty: Super easy
Flavor profiles: Bold, cheesy and pungent with classic puff pastry flavors.
Texture: Creamy cheese topping over flaky, golden crust.
Leave a comment below or star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Creamy Blue Cheese Puff Pastry Squares
- 2 sheets puff pastry, 1 package
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 4- ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Unfold pastry sheets onto lightly floured cutting board. Cut each into 9 three-inch squares. Using a sharp knife, lightly score ½-inch in from edges to create an inner square. Poke centers multiple times with fork. Lightly brush tops with egg.
- Place pastry square on a parchment lined baking sheet one inch apart, bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flatten centers with back of a spoon. Bake 7-10 minute more until golden brown. Remove from oven and press centers down one more time.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and remaining ingredients until combined. Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each puff pastry center. Garnish with additional green onion slices and serve immediately.
- You can make the filling in advance and store it in the fridge
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for around 3 days
- You can also make the pastry squares in advance so they are ready to assemble when you need them
- Parsley can be replaced with basil or chives (if using chives omit the green onions)
- If you want to use a different cheese go for a good melting one with a strong flavor