Baked Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian dish loaded with flavor and a surprisingly easy chicken dinner recipe. That’s right, you can enjoy restaurant quality keto Chicken Parmesan at home, in less than 30 minutes.
This post is sponsored by BabbleBoxx.com on behalf of Rachael Ray Create Delicious cookware.
With less than 15 minutes of hands-on time, common ingredients, and minimal cleanup it’s sure to be a new favorite.
Even better, this baked Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe is low-carb, gluten-free and full of wholesome goodness. It tastes just as good as the classic recipe, but uses almond flour instead of breast crumbs.
I’m a huge fan of baked chicken and excited to share this recipe. I made a double batch of this chicken parmigiana myself and even the leftovers are amazing! If you want more easy chicken dinners, you’ll love my easy baked chicken breast recipe.
How to make Chicken Parmesan (step-by-step)
Baked Chicken Parmesan is simple and requires only a few steps. All you need to do is bread the chicken breasts, brown them in a pan, then baked until cooked through. Read on and learn how to make it.
Flatten the chicken breasts
Cut large chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Place one half in a large Ziploc bag and seal (this reduces splatter and makes cleanup easy). Pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until about ⅓-inch thick and 3 to 4 inches wide.
Bread the chicken breasts, keto-style
In a large bowl, stir together almond flour, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. You could also add extra seasonings such as onion powder or garlic powder.
Dip and coat both sides of chicken breasts in a bowl of lightly beaten eggs. Dredge into almond flour mixture to coat and season chicken.
Heat oil in a large oven-safe non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add breaded chicken breasts and cook 3 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Rotate and brown other sides.
Assemble and bake
Remove from heat and pour marinara sauce into the pan, lifting up chicken breasts so they are resting above the sauce.
Spoon remaining marinara sauce over the centers of the chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake uncovered 17-20 minutes at 400 degrees, or until the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Serve garnished with fresh basil or parsley and desired sides. You’ll find suggested sides to serve with it towards the end of this post.
Answers to common questions:
Keto breading for Chicken Parmesan
Instead of using bread crumbs or Panko crumbs, substitute almond flour. I like to stir in shredded Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt to punch up the flavor. It bakes right into the chicken breasts and is amazing.
Pro tip: Be sure to use fine almond flour for best texture. It also sticks to the chicken better.
What size chicken breasts should I use?
Chicken breasts come in a wide range of sizes. I used large 8 to 12 ounces chicken breasts, then cut them in half lengthwise. Once flattened to ⅓-inch, it creates the ideal size and shape for breaded Chicken Parmesan.
Do I need to flatten then chicken breasts?
Yes, this is a critical step for Parmesan chicken. Here are a few reasons why:
- Even thickness allows for even baking and doneness
- Breading on a flat surface browns more evenly
- Thinner chicken breasts create a higher breading to chicken ratio and lovely flavor
- Flattening with a meat mallet tenderizes the meat, making it more moist and juicy
But isn’t it messy? A simple trick is to place the chicken breast in a sealed Ziplock bag or wrap in plastic wrap, then flatten. This will prevent liquids from splattering, is much safer and makes clean up easy.
Do I need to brown the chicken breasts in a pan first?
Although it adds a bit of extra time, it’s highly recommended for the best flavor and texture. The Keto Chicken Parmesan will have much more depth if browned first. To save time, you could simply bake them, but add an additional 4-6 minutes of baking time.
Which pan should I use?
It’s best to use an oven-safe nonstick pan since you need to brown the breaded chicken breasts before baking. This makes cleanup easy and allows for one pot Parmesan Chicken. You could also transfer the chicken parm to a baking dish, but this adds extra cleanup.
I recommend the Rachel Ray Create Delicious 13-Piece Aluminum Nonstick Cookware Set. It pairs reliable performance with durable aluminum construction for ultra-even heating and browning.
It also has flared rims for easy pouring, silicone handles. It’s two times harder than stainless steel and oven safe up to 400° degrees.
Also, try out the following items to make this recipe easier
- EVOO Bottle: This stoneware olive oil dispenser will add style to your kitchen.
- 2-Piece Lazy Tool Set: A spoon and spatula with a clever slot built in to allow resting on the side of a pot.
How long to bake Chicken Parmesan
Bake Chicken Parmesan uncovered for 17 to 20 minutes at 400° F, or until internal temperature reaches 165°.
Can I use regular bread crumbs?
If you don’t have almond flour or are allergic to nuts there are a few easy substitutes. Simply substitute 1:1 of any of the following:
- Crushed pork rinds
- Bread crumbs (not keto)
- Gluten-free bread crumbs (not keto)
- Panko crumbs (not keto)
Is marinara sauce keto?
Marinara and tomato sauce often contain added sugar, which definitely is not keto. However, it’s possible to find brands with no added sugars and this is recommended. Tomatoes contain natural sugars and carbs. However, a little bit on top of the chicken Parmesan still keeps this a keto recipe.
What to serve with Keto Chicken Parmesan
These are wonderful on their own simply served with a veggie side. Or serve with some of these sides:
Classic Chicken Parmesan is often served over pasta noodles. To keep this low carb chicken Parmesan recipe, you could serve over zucchini or spaghetti squash zoodles.
How to store and serve leftovers
- In the fridge: Let cool a bit at room temp, then refrigerate in a sealed container up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers in a microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Freeze: For longer storage, freeze in a sealed container up to 4 months. Defrost in the fridge before reheating.
More chicken breast recipes you’ll like
- Baked Keto Breaded Chicken Breast
- Moist Baked Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Lemon Chicken Pasta with Brocolli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pho Soup recipe
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Keto Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 large chicken breasts, about 1 ½ pounds
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus ground pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 24 ounces marinara sauce, divided (look for a brand with no sugar added)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Place one half in a large Ziploc bag and seal. Pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until about ⅓-inch thick and 3 to 4 inches wide. Remove from bag and repeat for remaining breast halves.
- In a large bowl, stir together almond flour, ⅛-cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt. Set aside.
- Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Dip and coat both sides of a chicken breast, then dredge into almond flour mixture until both sides are evenly coated. Repeat for remaining chicken breasts.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add breaded chicken breasts and cook 3 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Rotate and brown other sides. Remove pan from heat.
- Reserve 1-cup of marinara sauce. Pour remaining sauce into the pan, lifting up chicken breasts so they are resting above the sauce.
- Spoon remaining marinara sauce over the centers of the chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 17-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 °Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Serve garnished with parsley and desired sides.