Make Halloween snacking fun with Puff Pastry Mummy Cheese Wheels. Baked into a crispy, gooey bite-size snack that melts in your mouth. Plus these Halloween appetizers are easy to make, and a great activity for kids.
These super cute Halloween Puff Pastry Mummy Cheese Wheels are simple holiday snack for your Halloween gatherings. While decorative desserts are a common way to celebrate the holiday, savory snacks can be just fun. With a little creativity you can easily add charm to the holiday.
Why this puff pastry mummy recipe works
This recipe is so simple you can have the kids to help for some quality family time. Using puff pastry sheets ensures the dough is perfect and they puff up into fun little mummies. Slice it into thin strips and wrap in a criss-crossed pattern. The tips of black olive work for eyes, making this decorative snack fully edible. No special skill set needed for these.
What type of cheese to use for halloween mummy appetizers
Mini Babybel cheese wheels are the ideal bite-size choice. The size works well and they hold shape for wrapping, then melt slightly when baked into soft and gooey morsels. These classic cheese wheels with the pull-off wax were a favorite growing up. It’s 100% real natural cheese and also a good source of protein.
Just a few simple steps needed to make puff pastry mummies
These puff pastry mummies won’t be using the wax, which is a common way to decorate cheese wheels. Instead, wrap them in thin slices of puff pastry sheets to create a wrapped mummy effect. Cutout black olives work perfect for the inset eyes. Bake until golden, and the cheese is slightly gooey inside.
Pro tip: Brush the wrapped cheese wheels with egg white before baking. This helps enhance that classic golden glow of puff pasty.
These Halloween Puff Pastry Mummy Cheese Wheels will be a fun project for the entire family and festive addition to your Halloween appetizer menu. If you’re looking for more Halloween themed appetizers, you’ll love these Black Bean Hummus Monsters.
More appetizer recipes to go with these Mummy Cheese Wheels:
Leave a comment below and star rating if you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Are you following me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter? Also, sign up for our newsletter to get all our recipes and cooking tips.
Halloween Puff Pastry Mummy Cheese Wheels
- 8 Mini Babybel® cheese wheels
- 16 black olives
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut small slices off of rounded tips of black olives to create eyes. Remaining portions will be unused. Discard wax from cheese wheels and place two eyes on each.
- Cut puff pastry sheet in half, then cut into thin ⅛-inch wide strips. Wrap strips around cheese wheels in overlapping patterns, keeping eyes slightly exposed. Lightly brush dough with egg white.
- Please on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 12 minutes, or until dough is golden brown. Slice off any bits of cheese that have oozed out, serve immediately.